Presented by The Cleveland Orchestra, City of Cleveland, and Greater Cleveland Partnership
The Cleveland Orchestra in cooperation with the City of Cleveland, and the Greater Cleveland Partnership, are pleased to announce the eleventh annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Community Service Award. This award recognizes the services and achievements of an adult, a youth, and a business or organization that have positively impacted Cleveland in the spirit of the teachings and example of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Award presentations will be made at The Cleveland Orchestra’s Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration Concert at Severance Hall on Sunday, January 19, 2014.
Members of the community may submit nominations for consideration by the selection committee comprised of a diverse range of community leaders. A Nomination Form is attached and is also available through the websites of The Cleveland Orchestra (www.clevelandorchestra.com), the City of Cleveland (www.city.cleveland.oh.us/), Greater Cleveland Partnership (www.gcpartnership.com/), or by calling the Cleveland Orchestra Education and Community Programs Office at (216) 231-7355.
3. BUSINESS OR ORGANIZATION
AWARD CRITERIA: Exemplifying one or more of the following:
- Leadership in community-building
- Advocacy for educational excellence
- Promotion of social justice
- Promotion of diversity and inclusion
- Involvement with music and the arts to promote greater understanding and acceptance
AWARD CRITERIA DESCRIPTIONS:
1. Leadership in Community-Building – Individuals or organizations that have made significant contributions toward building a sense of unity among the citizens of Cleveland, with demonstrated success through programs and activities that help revitalize our community and make it a more desirable place to live.
2. Improving Educational Excellence – Individuals or organizations with demonstrated success in eradicating barriers that impede the attainment of academic excellence. Activities might include mentoring, tutoring, or scholarship programs, innovative pre-school programs, pre-college programs, etc.
3. Promotion of Social Justice – Individuals or organizations that have made significant contributions toward achieving justice for individuals, groups, or communities. Nominees should have demonstrated success using legal, legislative, or governmental systems to reduce disparities in housing, health care, education, employment opportunities, and criminal justice. These activities should reflect a commitment to non-violence.
4. Promotion of Diversity and Inclusion – Individuals or organizations that demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusion and evidence skill in building and maintaining harmonious and productive cross-cultural relationships. Nominations should identify specific initiatives and accomplishments that foster Dr. King’s vision of unity among people of diverse cultural backgrounds.
5. Music and the Arts as a Tool to Promote Greater Understanding and Acceptance – Individuals or organizations that support or create music and arts programs that utilize the power of creative pursuits to advocate for positive social change, and/or create a greater understanding of diverse cultures.