The City of Cleveland is excited to welcome all dedicated fans to the downtown area this Friday, April 10, 2015 for the Cleveland Indians Home Opener against the Detroit Tigers at 4:10 pm and the Cleveland Cavaliers game vs. the Boston Celtics at 7:30 pm.
The combination of downtown Cleveland residents, visitors, and working professionals in the same area is expected to a busy time; therefore, the City of Cleveland and other downtown area partners would like to provide the following tips to make the experience memorable and enjoyable.
In addition to increased traffic, lane restrictions and construction in the downtown area and around Public Square (see here) may make travel slow. In order to improve traffic flow, the Division of Police will be implementing “NO PARKING” designations in the following areas (see below):
• East 9th Street – Euclid Avenue to Carnegie Avenue
• Huron Road – Ontario Street to Prospect Avenue
• Prospect Avenue – Ontario Street to East 14th Street
• Erie Court – East 9th Street to East 14th Street
• Sumner Court – East 9th Street to East 14th Street
• East 4th Street – Huron Road to Prospect Avenue
• East 2nd Street – High Street to Prospect Avenue
• Bolivar Road – East 9th St to East 7th Street
• East 6th Street – Prospect Avenue to Eagle Avenue
“This will be an exciting and bustling time in downtown throughout the day and night,” said Commissioner of Traffic James Muhic. “Our priority is to get everyone safely to their destination and we are taking the necessary steps to ensure that happens.”
Signs will be posted and meters bagged in advance of the day. Illegally parked vehicles will be towed at the owner’s expense and can be picked up at the division’s One Stop Impound Lot located at 3040 Quigley Road.
The City of Cleveland and Division of Police offer the following advice to improve your visit:
• Ride RTA. Either park and ride or plan your commute with http://www.riderta.com/ to enjoy all downtown Cleveland has to offer. Rail service will be increased to accommodate more riders.
• Utilize trolleys . Trolleys are abundant all over downtown Cleveland and they are free. This will allows commuters to park farther away and catch the trolley anywhere downtown.
• Arrive early to your destination. If you plan on attending the Indians Home Opener, leave early enough to give yourself ample travel time so you don’t miss pregame festivities and explore the transformed Progressive Field renovations. Progressive Field gates OPEN at 2:00PM with first pitch at 4:10PM. If you plan on attending the Cleveland Cavaliers game at 7:30 pm, plan to arrive BEFORE the ending of the Indians game.
• Familiarize yourself with downtown parking garages and surface lots – understand that the lots nearest the ballpark generally fill up first.
• Be aware of increased pedestrian traffic particularly around Progressive Field.
The Bureau of Traffic will supplement their customary allotment of traffic enforcement officers with additional police officers and traffic controllers to facilitate traffic into and out of downtown and to assist with pedestrian traffic. Numerous officers will be detailed to the area during the event for added security and crowd control.
The Ohio Department of Transportation would like to remind motorists that if you are traveling and use I-77 south to exit Downtown you will notice changes as the East 9th and Ontario Street ramps to I-77 south have been permanently relocated.
Outbound I-77 traffic now uses a wider, more attractive boulevard along Orange Avenue. The E 14th Street entrance to I-77 south has been improved and Broadway Avenue also provides a great alternate to reach I-77. For a map of alternate routes, please click here.
• Motorists who use I-71 north or I-90 east to enter Downtown are also reminded that the Ontario Street exit ramp is temporarily closed and you should use East 9th Street instead.
• Motorists are advised to follow all posted signage and allow for extra travel time to reach, and depart, Downtown venues.
• For a LIVE look at traffic speeds and cameras approaching Downtown, be sure to visit www.Ohgo.com for up-to-the-minute information!