Cleveland Cavaliers Playoff Game and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremonies
Downtown Cleveland continues to attract excitement and attention from visitors all across Northeast Ohio and beyond. This weekend the City of Cleveland will welcome fans of Rock and Roll and playoff basketball as the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremonies take place this Saturday, April 18 at 7:30 pm and the Cleveland Cavaliers begin their playoff series with the Boston Celtics on Sunday, April 19 at 3:00 pm.
These two high profile events will put Cleveland in the national spotlight and provide entertainment for many families and visitors. In order to ensure that the weekend festivities are safe and enjoyable for all, the City of Cleveland and our downtown area partners would like to provide the following information.
In addition to increased traffic, lane restrictions and construction in the downtown area and around Public Square (see here) may make travel slow. In order to improve traffic flow, the Division of Police will be implementing the following traffic regulations:
Saturday – Street Closures
- East Mall Drive – North Bound Complete Road Closure from St. Clair Ave to Lakeside Avenue (one way north bound).
- East 6th Street – Partial Road Closure – St. Clair Ave north to Penton parking garage.
- Lakeside Avenue – Complete road closure from East 6th Street to Ontario Street. Access to Willard garage only on East 9th Street entrance.
Sunday – In addition to the above street closures, “No Parking” restrictions will be in place at the below areas
- Huron Rd – from Ontario St. to Prospect Ave.
- Prospect Ave – from Ontario St. To East 14th St.
- East 9th St. – from Euclid Ave. to Carnegie Ave.
- East 4th St. – from Prospect Ave. to Huron Rd.
“All downtown events have their own unique traffic challenges”, said City of Cleveland Commissioner of Traffic James Muhic. “We work to keep things flowing in an orderly and timely manner, but make sure you give yourself enough time to get to your destination.”
The City of Cleveland and Division of Police offer the following advice to improve your visit:
Arrive downtown early. Plan your commute beforehand to effectively utilize your time. For Sunday’s Cavaliers game, there will be a free FanFest outside The Q beginning at 12:30 p.m. Arrive early to enjoy the festivities.
Ride RTA. Either park and ride or plan your commute with http://www.riderta.com/ to enjoy all downtown Cleveland has to offer.
Put Your Junk in Your Trunk! Valuable items should not be left in the interior of a vehicle where others can see them. Even better is to place these items in the trunk prior to arriving at your destination.
Be aware of increased pedestrian traffic in the downtown area.
If you see something suspicious, say something. Report any suspicious activity to safety officials.
The Bureau of Traffic will supplement their customary allotment of traffic enforcement officers with additional police officers and traffic controllers to facilitate traffic into and out of downtown and to assist with pedestrian traffic. Numerous officers will be detailed to the area during the event for added security and crowd control.
The Ohio Department of Transportation would like to remind motorists that if you are traveling and use I-77 south to exit Downtown you will notice changes as the East 9th and Ontario Street ramps to I-77 south have been permanently relocated.
Outbound I-77 traffic now uses a wider, more attractive boulevard along Orange Avenue. The E 14th Street entrance to I-77 south has been improved and Broadway Avenue also provides a great alternate to reach I-77. For a map of alternate routes, please click here.
- Motorists who use I-71 north or I-90 east to enter Downtown are also reminded that the Ontario Street exit ramp is temporarily closed and you should use East 9th Street instead – or – Opt for the Alternate! and use I-490 and I-77 to bypass construction.
- Follow all posted signage and allow for extra travel time to reach, and depart, Downtown venues.
- For a LIVE look at traffic speeds and cameras approaching Downtown, be sure to visit http://www.ohgo.com/Dashboard/ne-ohiofor up-to-the-minute information!