Mayor Frank G. Jackson and Chief of Police Calvin D. Williams proudly announce that the 2015 City of Cleveland Gun Buy-Back will be held on Saturday, August 22, 2015 between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m., at the Third District Police Headquarters located at 4501 Chester Avenue. The Cleveland Division of Police has partnered with the Cleveland Police Foundation, ArcelorMittal, Cleveland Gladiators, Burt Saltzman owner of Dave’s Supermarkets, the Lake Erie Monsters, and the Cleveland Police Patrolman’s Association to proudly make this year’s buy-back possible.
In exchange for operable handguns or semi-automatic rifles, citizens will be given a $100 gas or food gift card per handgun or a $200 gas or food gift card per semi-automatic rifle. In addition, every participant will receive two tickets to an upcoming Cleveland Gladiators or Lake Erie Monsters game.
“This community partnership will help us prevent a tragedy in the City of Cleveland,” said Chief of Police Calvin D. Williams. “This is a strategy that the City of Cleveland and the Division of Police have employed previously. As a result of the Gun Buy-Back someone’s life will be saved.”
“ArcelorMittal is proud to partner with the Cleveland Division of Police on the gun buy-back program. It is a natural extension of our commitment to make Cleveland a safer place for our employees and neighbors. After the guns are collected, we are pleased to melt down the weapons and recycle them into new steel which will eventually become consumer goods that improve the quality of all our lives,” said Eric Hauge, Vice President & General Manager, ArcelorMittal Cleveland.
How to Participate:
- Bring a working handgun or semi-automatic rifle (assault rifle) to the Third District Police Headqaurters located at 4501 Chester Avenue on Saturday, August 22nd, 2015, between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.
- The weapon must be unloaded in a clear plastic bag inside a second container (gym bag, backpack, etc.)
- Transport the unloaded and properly bagged weapon locked in the trunk of your vehicle.
- Pack ammunition separately. Non semi-automatic rifles and shotguns can be turned in but NO incentive will be given.
- Cleveland Police Officers will inspect the weapon to ensure that it is operable.
- After officers determine that the weapon is operable, a $100 gift card will be given to those who turn in a handgun and a $200 gift card to those who turn in a semi-automatic rifle.
- Everyone surrendering a gun will be provided with a ticket voucher for a pair of tickets to a Lake Erie Monsters or Cleveland Gladiators game.