Today, Mayor Frank G. Jackson and Police Chief Calvin D. Williams provided the media with an overview of actions that transpired in the event zone as it relates to the Republican National Convention.
Click here to view the briefing in its entirety. A brief summary follows.
Protest Safety and Security Updates:
- Three arrested this morning for climbing a flagpole at the Rock Hall and hanging a banner. Charged with Criminal Mischief and Trespassing.
- So far 5 arrests related to the RNC. All minor incidents.
- 3 for flag pole incident
- 1 with felony warrant
- 1 for stolen gas mask from officer’s vehicle
- 300 Bicycled officers (150 per operational period) from approximately a dozen outside agency partners.
- Bicycle officers were dispatched to discourage conflict between opposing positions. Bicycle officers are a critical element in managing crowds.
- Gas masks remain a prohibited item in the event zone. Reporters must follow same rules as the public. About a dozen mischievous calls and prohibited items were confiscated.
- Outside agencies are out and about in squads along with the Cleveland Division of Police.
- List of Official Parade and Park Use Permits and Official Speakers Platform. City planned for them to be here and we handle those who show up.
- Male questioned for firearm. He cooperated, had a conceal carry permit and was released.
- Number of open carry protesters so far is approximately 13.
- Several peaceful protests. Some agitators, no one was unlawful.
The next media briefing will be July 19, 2016 at 7:00 p.m.