- Veterans Hiring Fair: Veterans of the Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, Navy, Guardsmen, Reservists and those transitioning from active duty are invited to attend 10 AM to 2 PM Wednesday, Aug 17, 2016 at Woods-King Armory, 4303 Green Road, Highland Hills, OH 44128
Bring copies of your DD 214, resume and be prepared to interview on site. For more information, call Dan Abraham (216) 308-8403 or Paul Lord (216) 701-3045
- Law Enforcement Night at Progressive Field: The Cleveland Indians and Major League Baseball has teamed up with the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund to show our appreciation for the men and women of Ohio who serve as law enforcement officers, corrections officers and first responders.
Your 2016 Cleveland Indians and the Memorial Fund invite you, your friends, family and the general public to join us for the annual Law Enforcement Appreciation Night on Saturday, September 17th, 2016 at 4:10 PM as the Cleveland Indians battle the Detroit Tigers at Progressive Field.
Special Priced Tickets start at just $18.00 and choose from 4 ticket options.
Arrive early for the pre-game ceremony as we honor area Ohio Law Enforcement personnel and organizations.
$5.00 from every ticket will be donated to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund.
Additional questions or to purchase tickets for a group, contact Cleveland Indians Representative Matt Gay at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fox 8 News Fox Trot Race: scheduled for Sunday, August 28, 2016 in downtown Cleveland. The funds raised will help support the VA’s efforts to provide services to our fellow Veterans that may otherwise not be available. For more information on the event, please click here.
- 15th Anniversary Never Forget 9/11: Sunday, Sep 11, 2016. Refer to : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1NiwCZ_V-9iYTlMYlJyZ0VvMVk/view?usp=sharing
- Cleveland Veteran Job Fair: scheduled for 11 AM – 3 PM Thursday, September 1, 2016 at Progressive Field, 2401 Ontario, Cleveland
- Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center Events Calendar: http://www.cleveland.va.gov/calendar.asp
- Ohio Veterans Memorial Park Events Calendar: http://www.ovmp.org/
Here are some great opportunities to put your military experiences to work benefiting others in need.
- Project GreenCare for Troops: a national 10-year old program that provides free lawn, landscape and snow removal services for military families and veterans with a service-related disability needs your support. There are more than 225,000 military personnel deployed in 150 countries and 3.6 million veterans with a service-related disability needing day-to-day household and lifestyle assistance.
Project EverGreen’s GreenCare for Troops and SnowCare for Troops provides complimentary basic year maintenance, and snow and ice removal services to military families and disable Veterans. For more information contact Ki Matsko at 888.611.2955 or email@example.com
- The American Red Cross’ unwavering commitment to members of the U.S. military, its veterans and their families continues to grow and develop more than a century after Clara Barton first recruited nurses to support the U.S. Army. Today, the Red Cross is meeting the needs of a changing military and expanding services to veterans. Red Cross support of military members and their families enhances morale and contributes to increased operational capability in several ways. New volunteers: visit https:redcross.org/neo Click on “volunteer” tab.
- Cleveland Municipal Court’s Veterans Treatment Docket needs volunteers – preferably military veterans to help Veterans transition to a successful life. If you are interested in volunteering to help our veterans successfully re-enter civilian life, please contact Derek Moore at (216) 664-4712 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org additional information.
- Needed: ‘A few good mentors’: The Cuyahoga Common Pleas Veteran Treatment Court (VTC) is a judge-monitored treatment program for military veterans. A key component of the program is volunteer Veteran Mentors who volunteer their time to help veterans re-adapt to civilian life. For more information visit: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1NiwCZ_V-9iTF8wYXhqcE4yWm8/view?usp=sharing
Employment Opportunities / Links:
Veteran Job Search Assistance: If you know a Veteran or Military Spouse who could benefit from FREE, UNLIMITED job search coaching, please have them visit www.gunnyret.com to schedule a “First Call”.
Ohio National Guard Employment Enhancement Support: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6KQApfHm1pGbnByRGlTNEhyUlU/view?usp=sharing
Free, Unlimited Military Veteran Job Search Coaching: provided by www.gunnyret.com
VA JOBS Home: http://www.va.gov/jobs/
Military Jobs.com: http://www.military.com/veteran-jobs
Ohio Federal Government Jobs: http://federalgovernmentjobs.us/job-location/ohio-oh.html
Stars and Stripes; Veteran Job Center: http://veteranjobs.stripes.com/
USERRA: The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) protects service members’ reemployment rights when returning from a period of service in the uniformed services, including those called up from the reserves or National Guard, and prohibits employer discrimination based on military service or obligation. The U.S. Department of Labor’s (DOL) Veterans’ Employment and Training Service (VETS) administers USERRA
- Link to DOJ USERRA website: http://www.justice.gov/crt/military/statute.htm
- Link to the DOJ website: http://www.dol.gov/vets/programs/userra/userra_fs.htm
Get connected with V.E.T.S Program: The Council for Economic Opportunities in Greater Cleveland is sponsoring a series of job preparedness, career development, financial literacy and computer training workshops. The program is designed to help veterans overcome barriers in order to transition from military life, prepare to compete for jobs in the civilian labor force.
The VETS Program is in collaboration with the Manufacturing Advocacy & Growth Network (MAGNET), Cuyahoga Valley Careers Center, and the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services (ODJFS) Veterans Program
VAntage Point: the official blog of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs: http://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/subscribe/
311VET – new app answers general VA benefits questions http://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/23378/311vet-new-app-answers-general-va-benefits-questions/
The Top 100 Military Friendly Employers: http://www.forbes.com/sites/kathryndill/2015/11/10/the-top-100-military-friendly-employers-for-2016/
Cuyahoga Community College Veteran Upward Bound Program: Since 1973, VUB has provided comprehensive educational support services to eligible U.S. military veterans interested in pursuing a college degree or certificate. Services include academic enrichment classes, math and English tutors, assistance with applying for federal student aid, and transition into a college or university of their choice. All services are no cost to the veteran. For information call 216-987-4938 or visit www.Tri-C.edu/vub
Amputee Recreational Support Group of Central Ohio: http://www.arsgcoh.org/ regularly schedules recreational activities for amputees – Veterans and non-Veterans, including Yoga for Amputees, shooting events, and recreational swimming. For more information, contact Robert Hass at (614) 288-5105 or Amputee@columbus.rr.com
Department of Defense Media Center: http://www.dma.mil/
Veterans Business Support Center: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1NiwCZ_V-9iS0NiUjQ3cnFLTE0/view?usp=sharing
Ohio National Guard Employer Advisory Council: The ONG Employer Advisory Council was developed to provide military-friendly employers with useful resources and guidance to help them success with military retention and recruitment initiatives. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1NiwCZ_V-9ibUNOOGo2S2gybWc/view?usp=sharing
USS COD: http://USSCOD.org
Columbus Honor Flight: www.honorflightcolumbus.org
Honor Flight Cleveland: www.honorflightcleveland.com
Veterans Crisis Line: 1 800 273 8255
Women of Hope, Inc: www.womenofhopeoh.org
Chase Bank Support for Veterans: www.ChaseMilitary.com
Justice for Veterans: http://www.justiceforvets.org/
Google for Veterans: http://www.googleforveterans.com/
Military Memorabilia Donations: www.ohiohistory.org/militarycall
Ohio Veterans Memorial Park: http://www.ovmp.org/
Cold War Recognition Certificate: the Cold War Recognition Certificate is a recognition certificate awarded by the Secretary of Defense to all U.S. Armed Forces personnel and qualified federal government civilian personnel who faithfully and honorably served the United States anytime during the Cold War era, which is defined as September 2, 1945 to December 26, 1991. Anyone who served in the military or the Federal Government during this period is authorized to receive the certificate.
Congress established the Cold War certificate in Section 1084 of the fiscal 1998 National Defense Authorization Act. The Department of Defense designated the Department of the Army as the executive agent for the Cold War Recognition Certificate program. http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/genmedals/ht/coldwar.htm
Veteran Resources: http://www.veteransresources.org/
Cleveland VA Regional Benefit Office: http://www.benefits.va.gov/cleveland/
VetBiz.gov Home: http://www.vetbiz.gov/
Joint Veterans Council of Cuyahoga County: www.jvcocc.org
Equal Honor for All: www.equalhonor.org
Greater Cleveland Fisher House: The Goal of the Greater Cleveland Fisher House Organization is to raise $7,000,000 for the construction of a Fisher House (there are currently 62 houses in operation across the US, Germany, and England) that will be located on the grounds of the Louis Stokes VA Hospital in Cleveland, the third largest VA hospital in the US. http://greaterclevelandfisherhouse.org/
Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center: http://www.cleveland.va.gov/?wvsessionid=fe802c6620da402484b74ac24a5f1650
Greater Cleveland Veterans (GCVM) Memorial: www.clevelandvetsmemorial.org
GCVM Honor Roll: The Citizens of Cuyahoga County have served the nation well, and paid a heavy price. When America needed defenders the men and women of Greater Cleveland have answered the call. From 1899 to 2014, a span of 115 years, 5,552 patriots of the county have fallen in military service during time of war. Search the honor roll: http://www.clevelandvetsmemorial.org/GCVM-honor-roll-search.asp
My HealtheVet: www.myhealth.va.gov
Rewards for Justice Website: The Rewards for Justice program continues to be one of the most valuable U.S. Government assets in the fight against international terrorism. Established by the 1984 Act to Combat International Terrorism, Public Law 98-533, the Program is administered by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Diplomatic Security. http://www.rewardsforjustice.net/english/most-wanted/all-regions.html
Locating Veterans and Service Members: http://www.archives.gov/veterans/locate-service-members.html
National Center for Veterans Analysis and Statistics: http://www.va.gov/vetdata/
Military News: www.military.com
The American Legion: http://www.legion.org/
Veterans of Foreign Wars USA: http://www.vfw.org/
Stars and Stripes Veterans Link: http://www.stripes.com/news/veterans
Air Force Times: http://www.airforcetimes.com/
Army Times: http://www.armytimes.com/
Marine Corps Times: http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/
Navy Times: http://www.navytimes.com/
Defense News: http://www.defensenews.com/
Veterans Benefits Administration: http://www.vba.va.gov/
GI Bill website: http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/
Veteran Resources: http://www.veteransresources.org/
Explore VA Benefits: www.explore.VA.gov
Ohio VFW: http://www.ohiovfw.org/
Ohio Legion News: http://ohiolegionnews.com/
Veteran Service Commission Meetings – are open to the public. The Commissioners encourage members of the Veteran Community to come and see how the Cuyahoga County Veteran Commission works and the benefits available to our Veterans. The meetings are held at the Commission offices at 1849 Prospect Avenue, Suite 150, Cleveland, Ohio 44115 at 9:30 AM the first and third Wednesday of each month.
National Marine Corp Business Network: http://www.nmcbn.com/