- 6th Annual Veteran Career Expo: the Ohio Department of Job & Family Services Veterans Workforce Services is happy to announce our 6th annual Veterans Career Expo will take place at Quicken Loans Arena on Thursday November 3rd (10am-1pm) in honor of Hire A Veteran month. We are looking for businesses with open positions looking to be filled to attend our event and be a part of assisting the Veterans of Northeast Ohio.
Pre-registered veterans will get an email the week before the event with the businesses that will be attending in order for them to do research and prep for the event. We want companies to send me any information regarding their company or open positions that they want the pre-registered vets to receive prior to the event. Last year we had 120 companies, 550 veterans that attended and 120 hires that came as a result of the event.
The cost of the event for employers is $250 and will include a boxed lunch and there will be coffee and snacks available to buy. Veterans can attend the event at no cost and will be able to receive Monsters tickets upon completion of the event. The payment deadline is Oct 20th and anyone that registers after that date will be charged $300. You are not a confirmed employer and will not be able to attend until you have paid or have a PO with Jessica Vella (which can be worked out). Upon completion of the registration (link below) I will email you with a direct payment link as well as the contact information for Jessica Vella who works for the Cavs and is point of contact for payment.
Registration for Businesses/Veteran Organizations http://groups.theqarena.com/vetexpobusiness
- Veterans’ Business Forum: Your Small Business Deserves a Promotion Small Business Administration and NEOVETS, will be co-sponsoring a Veterans’ Business Forum on November 8th at Tri-C’s Corporate College East location at 4400 Richmond Rd., Warrensville Heights. This program is for new and existing veteran-owned businesses. It will provide you with useful information to help your business start and thrive.
WHAT: Forum and Workshops for Veteran-owned Businesses
WHERE: Tri-C Corporate College East, 4400 Richmond Rd, Warrensville Hts. 44128
WHEN: Tuesday, November 8, 8:30 am to 12:00 pm
WHO: Veteran entrepreneurs and veteran business owners
COST: FREE but registration is required.
For information, call 216-522-4192
- Veterans’ Day Tri-C Ceremony: on Thursday, November 10th the Veterans Initiative will be conducting the College’s Veterans Day Ceremony at the flagpole in the Veterans Memorial Garden at the West Campus. The West Campus is located at 11000 Pleasant Valley Road in Parma. Activities will begin at 11 am. And will include a presentation by WEWS TV5 newsman and decorated Vietnam Veteran, Leon Bibb. This ceremony is being held on Thursday as the College will be closed Friday, November 11th for Veterans Day observance. This event is FREE and open to the public. Call (216) 987-3193 for further information.
- Marine Corp Birthday Celebration: M:\2016 Marine Corp Birthday Celebration.jpg
- Cleveland Veterans Day Ceremony / Veterans Day Parade: the City of Cleveland will host the annual Veterans Day ceremony at 11 AM, Friday, Nov 11, 2016 in the Rotunda of City Hall followed by a Veterans Day parade, scheduled to step off at 12:30 PM.
All military Veterans are encouraged to participate in the ceremony and parade. For more information on parade participation, contact Paul Tuggey by email at PRTOH@roadrunner.com
- Free Dental Care: North Ridgeville Family Dentistry will host a Veterans Appreciation Day on Friday, November 11,2016 and provide free dentistry services, including simple cleanings, extractions, fillings, and x-rays for Veterans. Walk-in’s are welcome. . . . . a phone call is appreciated. For more information contact North Ridgeville Family Dentistry at 440-327-0027 at 3411 Center Ridge Road, North Ridgeville, Oh
- 3RD Battalion 25TH Marines 241st United States Marine Corps Birthday Ball: scheduled for 6 PM Saturday, November 11, 2016 at the Embassy Suites Cleveland Rockside, located at 5800 Rockside Woods Blvd., Independence Ohio
For additional information, please call 216 – 267-9878
- Cleveland American Veterans Association: CAVA invites you to a fundraising event to benefit the Cleveland American Veterans Association Saturday, Nov 12, 2016 from 6-9 PM at the Grindstone Tap House, 826 Front Street, Berea.
- Welcome to MyVA.COM. . . . getting it right from the start
Enrolling for VA care is a life-changing decision for Veterans. Choosing your health care provider is a leap of faith that will impact your entire life. “Welcome to MyVA” (W2MyVA) starts that relationship right with a welcoming call from an informed, service-oriented VA representative.
- Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center Events Calendar: http://www.cleveland.va.gov/calendar.asp
- Ohio Veterans Memorial Park Events Calendar: http://www.ovmp.org/
- The Veterans Service Commission will have a representative in the following Cuyahoga County Public Library branches on selected dates 9 AM – 3 PM to assist Veterans will filing for VA befits, temporary financial assistance and transportation (bus tickets) for VA appointments.
- North Olmsted Branch
- North Royalton Branch
- Solon Branch
- South Euclid-Lyndhurst Branch
Attention Veterans: Cuyahoga County Veterans Service Commission Winter Clothing Program
Don’t get caught in the cold this winter. The Cuyahoga County Veterans Service Commissioner Winter Clothing Program is here.
Congress isn’t finished with the California Guard bonuses scandal
The Pentagon has its fix for the California National Guard bonuses controversy, but that won’t stop Congress from weighing in with their own solutions when they return to Capitol Hill next month. On Wednesday, defense officials announced they will suspend efforts to recoup efforts of questionable enlistment bonuses from roughly 10,000 Guardsmen after a public outcry over the practice. That came after a series of Los Angeles Times articles showed the practice was causing financial harm to combat Read the full story
In anticipation of Veterans Day, Alaska Airlines today unveiled the newest aircraft in its fleet featuring a patriotic special paint theme titled “Honoring Those Who Serve.” The 737-900ER is dedicated to the brave men and women of the U.S. military, as well as veterans of the armed forces and their families.
Japanese battleship flag donated at Pearl Harbor
PEARL HARBOR, Hawaii — A Japanese navy flag that flew on the battleship of the man who planned the attack on Pearl Harbor was donated Thursday to the National Park Service. Dianne Hall of Salisbury, North Carolina, handed over the flag in a ceremony nearly 75 years after the Dec. 7, 1941, attack that launched the U.S. into World War II. Hall’s father, Robert Hartman, was a U.S. sailor who got the red and white flag showing the sun’s rays from the Battleship Nagato after Japan surrendered. The Read the full story
Pennsylvania ‘cemetery jet’ could take flight without a sponsor
ERIE, Pa. — The fighter jet is a local landmark. The Korean War-era F-94 Starfire has been stationed along Interstate 90, in the veterans’ section of Erie County Memorial Gardens, for almost 50 years. It’s a symbol of the men and women who served in the U.S. armed forces. It’s also a symbol of the Summit Township cemetery. “Everybody I talk to about the cemetery says, ‘That’s where the jet is,'” Erie County Memorial Gardens sales manager Joe Monaco said. “People from out of town come here to see Read the full story
CA Guard Vets Told to Repay Millions in Enlistment Bonuses: https://americansecuritytoday.com/ca-guard-vets-told-repay-millions-enlistment-bonuses-video/?ct=t(Oct_25_CA_Guard_Vets_Told_to_Repay_Milli10_24_2016)&goal=0_57de44116a-43179ec7c4-80174849&mc_cid=43179ec7c4&mc_eid=8311635e4b
Inside the Navy’s new super stealth destroyer
BALTIMORE: If Batman had a warship, it would be the USS Zumwalt. That’s how Adm. Harry Harris, commander of the U.S. Pacific Command, described the Navy’s largest and most sophisticated new destroyer, which comes with a price tag of at least $4.4 billion. “As long as our president and you the American people have an insatiable appetite for security, then I have an insatiable appetite for the stuff to underwrite that security,” Harris said at the ship’s commissioning ceremony on Saturday. Ray Read the full story
Ohio Veterans Hall of Fame to induct 19 members next month
The Ohio Veterans Hall of Fame Class of 2016 will be inducted November 3, 2016 in Columbus, Ohio
Link to Hall of Fame: http://dvs.ohio.gov/VETERANS_HALL_OF_FAME
Attention Military Veterans: The Social Security Administration is awarding prior military service men and women credit towards their SSA earnings! You don’t get it automatically, you have to apply. For a certain period, you get $300 each quarter of a year you served in active duty or reserve.
Here’s the link: Retirement Planner: Special Extra Earnings for Military Service
Construction under way at National World War II Museum
NEW ORLEANS — With eight projects under construction and 16 more on the drawing board, the National World War II Museum is about to take over 3 ½ square blocks in the city’s Central Business District. Read the full story
Here are some great opportunities to put your military experiences to work benefiting others in need.
- Project GreenCare for Troops: a national 10-year old program that provides free lawn, landscape and snow removal services for military families and veterans with a service-related disability needs your support. There are more than 225,000 military personnel deployed in 150 countries and 3.6 million veterans with a service-related disability needing day-to-day household and lifestyle assistance.
Project EverGreen’s GreenCare for Troops and SnowCare for Troops provides complimentary basic year maintenance, and snow and ice removal services to military families and disable Veterans. For more information contact Ki Matsko at 888.611.2955 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- The American Red Cross’ unwavering commitment to members of the U.S. military, its veterans and their families continues to grow and develop more than a century after Clara Barton first recruited nurses to support the U.S. Army. Today, the Red Cross is meeting the needs of a changing military and expanding services to veterans. Red Cross support of military members and their families enhances morale and contributes to increased operational capability in several ways. New volunteers: visit https:redcross.org/neo Click on “volunteer” tab.
- Cleveland Municipal Court’s Veterans Treatment Docket needs volunteers – preferably military veterans to help Veterans transition to a successful life. If you are interested in volunteering to help our veterans successfully re-enter civilian life, please contact Derek Moore at (216) 664-4712 or via email at email@example.com additional information.
- Needed: ‘A few good mentors’: The Cuyahoga Common Pleas Veteran Treatment Court (VTC) is a judge-monitored treatment program for military veterans. A key component of the program is volunteer Veteran Mentors who volunteer their time to help veterans re-adapt to civilian life. For more information visit: