Thursday, Dec 15, 2016
Prepared and distributed the first and fifteenth of every month to Veterans and supporters of those who served
- Joint Veterans Council of Cuyahoga County
- JVCOCC Veterans Organizations – call for “Veteran of the Year” nominations
- Save the Date: Officer Installation/Veteran of the Year Award Luncheon scheduled for 11 AM Saturday, 18 February 2017 at the Embassy Suites, Independence, Ohio. Ceremony and program sponsored by the Joint Veterans Council of Cuyahoga County (JVCOCC).
- Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center Events Calendar
- Ohio Veterans Memorial Park Events Calendar
- The Veterans Service Commission will have a representative in the following Cuyahoga County Public Library branches on selected dates 9 AM – 3 PM to assist Veterans will filing for VA befits, temporary financial assistance and transportation (bus tickets) for VA appointments.
- North Olmsted Branch
- North Royalton Branch
- Solon Branch
- South Euclid-Lyndhurst Branch
See the following link for further information: M:\BSD_Veterans Service Commission Poster (3) (3).pdf
- Attention Veterans: Cuyahoga County Veterans Service Commission Winter Clothing Program
Don’t get caught in the cold this winter. The Cuyahoga County Veterans Service Commissioner Winter Clothing Program is here.
Read the offer and requirements here: http://vsc.cuyahogacounty.us/
Bill naming VA center for fallen Ohio soldier heads to Obama
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Legislation to honor an Ohio soldier who died in the Vietnam War by naming a Veterans Affairs clinic for him has been sent to President Barack Obama’s desk. Read the full story
Exclusive: Internal documents detail secret VA quality ratings
WASHINGTON — The Department of Veterans Affairs has for years assigned star ratings for each of its medical centers based on the quality of care and service they provide, but the agency has repeatedly refused to make them public, saying they are meant for internal use only. USA TODAY has obtained internal documents detailing the ratings, and they show the lowest-performing medical centers are clustered in Texas and Tennessee.
Status Report: POW/MIA
The number of US personnel missing and unaccounted-for from the Vietnam War is still 1,618, unchanged since June 9th. The total accounted for since the end of the Vietnam War in 1975 is 965.
More Veterans Use GI Bill Benefits to Study Overseas
From the Philippines to Iceland, an increasing number of U.S. military veterans are heading overseas to complete degrees at global universities, thanks to the Post-9/11 GI Bill. Many veterans say appealing aspects of studying at an overseas college include learning another language and receiving cheaper tuition, thanks in part to the exchange rate.
Report: VA staff left veteran’s body in shower nine hours, tried to hide mistakes
SEMINOLE — Staff members at the Bay Pines VA Healthcare System left the body of a veteran in a shower room for more than nine hours then tried to cover up the mistake, a hospital investigation shows. A report of the investigation’s findings provides no information about the veteran, who died in February at the hospice unit of the Bay Pines center, 10000 Bay Pines Blvd.
Some hospice staff violated hospital and Veterans Affairs policies by “failing to provide appropriate post-mortem care,” including proper transportation of a body to the morgue, according to the report by the hospital’s Administrative Investigation Board.
FBI looks into Congress’ claims VA lied about hospital costs
DENVER (AP) — The Justice Department is considering whether to investigate allegations that Veterans Affairs Department executives lied to Congress to conceal massive cost overruns at a $1.7 billion VA hospital under construction outside Denver.
VA prescription refill and secure messaging now available at Vets.gov
You can now process your prescription refill requests, track your prescriptions, and communicate through secure messaging – all on Vets.gov.
Cuyahoga County Jail adds housing unit for veterans
CLEVELAND, Ohio -A veterans housing unit has been established in the Cuyahoga County Jail. The move follows the creation in 2015 of the Veterans Treatment Court in Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court. The court aims to rehabilitate vets who have been charged with a felony and sentenced to probation by diverting them to a special program of treatment and support. Veterans Treatment Court established in Cuyahoga County Read the full story
Welcome to MyVA.COM. . . . getting it right from the start
Enrolling for VA care is a life-changing decision for Veterans. Choosing your health care provider is a leap of faith that will impact your entire life. “Welcome to MyVA” (W2MyVA) starts that relationship right with a welcoming call from an informed, service-oriented VA representative.
Attention Military Veterans: The Social Security Administration is awarding prior military service men and women credit towards their SSA earnings! You don’t get it automatically, you have to apply. For a certain period, you get $300 each quarter of a year you served in active duty or reserve.
Here’s the link: Retirement Planner: Special Extra Earnings for Military Service
Volunteerism: Here are some great opportunities to put your military experiences to work benefiting others in need.
- Project GreenCare for Troops: a national 10-year old program that provides free lawn, landscape and snow removal services for military families and veterans with a service-related disability needs your support. There are more than 225,000 military personnel deployed in 150 countries and 3.6 million veterans with a service-related disability needing day-to-day household and lifestyle assistance.
- Project EverGreen’s GreenCare for Troops and SnowCare for Troops provides complimentary basic year maintenance, and snow and ice removal services to military families and disable Veterans. For more information contact Ki Matsko at 888.611.2955 or email@example.com
- The American Red Cross’ unwavering commitment to members of the U.S. military, its veterans and their families continues to grow and develop more than a century after Clara Barton first recruited nurses to support the U.S. Army. Today, the Red Cross is meeting the needs of a changing military and expanding services to veterans. Red Cross support of military members and their families enhances morale and contributes to increased operational capability in several ways. New volunteers: visit https:redcross.org/neo Click on “volunteer” tab.
- Cleveland Municipal Court’s Veterans Treatment Docket needs volunteers – preferably military veterans to help Veterans transition to a successful life. If you are interested in volunteering to help our veterans successfully re-enter civilian life, please contact Derek Moore at (216) 664-4712 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org additional information.
- Needed: ‘A few good mentors’: The Cuyahoga Common Pleas Veteran Treatment Court (VTC) is a judge-monitored treatment program for military veterans. A key component of the program is volunteer Veteran Mentors who volunteer their time to help veterans re-adapt to civilian life. For more information visit: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1NiwCZ_V-9iTF8wYXhqcE4yWm8/view?usp=sharing
Veteran Employment Opportunities and Veteran Information Links: Read the entire list of employment opportunity and information links: http://www.military.com/veteran-jobs