The Lake Effect Snow Warning issued by the National Weather Service expired at 4 am this morning. The National Weather Service has issued another Winter Weather Advisory for 7 p.m. Friday–Noon Saturday. The advisory states that another round of precipitation will arrive this evening, beginning as snow then mixing with sleet and freezing rain. The City will continue to monitor these conditions.
The Department of Public Works reports that the secondary and mains are in good condition. Crews have been in residential areas since 11 pm last night and have gotten through approximately 30 percent of the 292 subsections. There are 47 crews continuing work on residential streets this morning.
Zelma George (3155 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd) and Michael J. Zone (6301 Lorain Road) are still open as warming centers. Temperatures are expected to rise this afternoon. Overnight, two people took shelter at Zelma George and one person at Michael J. Zone.
Since last Thursday, when the weather turned cold, The Division of Animal Care and Control has seized 19 dogs for being illegally tethered or otherwise left in the elements.
The Division of EMS responded to three cold weather related calls. All were transferred to hospitals in stable condition for cold exposure.
- A 73 year old female from Payne Avenue was transferred to Metro Health
- A 62 year old male from Sprague Road was transferred to Cleveland Clinic
- A 30 year old male from East 119th Street was transferred to Cleveland Clinic
A Parking Ban is in effect in the City of Cleveland and will remain in effect until 11 am today.
The City of Cleveland encourages residents to:
- Continue to park off-street whenever possible. This allows plows to have curb-to-curb access and clear streets of snow more effectively.
- If you must travel, use caution.
- Pay attention to local news for weather advisories.
- Stay indoors. If you must go out, dress warm and in layers.
- Bring your pets inside – it’s the law.
- Check on your neighbors and friends, especially the elderly and those with small children.