Thanks to Mayor Frank G. Jackson’s enhanced budget, made possible by Issue 32, the City of Cleveland is embarking on more street improvement projects in 2017 than years past. Projects span all neighborhoods and wards throughout the city.
Here are some highlights about this year’s road work:
- Street resurfacing began on April 27, 2017 and will continue through the summer, weather permitting. The first resurfacing project took place in Ward 4 on Parkview Avenue near the intersection of Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard.
- Potholes are serviced year round, weather permitting. The Department of Public Works has increased its pothole crews from three to 10 as a result of the passage of Issue 32.
- This year, with the completion of the Pavement Management Study we have a graded system that allows us to select the streets that are in the greatest need of resurfacing. We are using the worst first approach to road resurfacing.
- We are projecting to resurface 95 streets this year.
- Thanks to Issue 32 funds, the City of Cleveland has reinstated street sweeping services.
Updates will be posted Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.
Mayor Frank G. Jackson announced this week at a press conference that he will introduce a package of legislation that kicks off the new Mayor Frank G. Jackson Healthy Neighborhoods legislative initiative on May 8, 2017.
The initiative is aimed at moving Cleveland forward using resources from the $25 million neighborhood transformation fund and the enhanced budget made possible by Issue 32.
The Mayor Frank G. Jackson Healthy Neighborhoods legislative initiative includes recently passed, pending and new legislation that will work collectively to improve the overall quality of life in Cleveland neighborhoods. Elements of the initiative include items that do not require legislation but support the Mayor’s overall vision for healthier, safer and more prosperous neighborhoods. For example, the initiative includes the demolition of vacant, nuisance and abandoned houses, which does not require funding legislation.
The Mayor Frank G. Jackson Healthy Neighborhoods legislative initiative is a testament to Mayor Jackson’s commitment to investing in communities that are healthy now and in the future.
5 May 2017
Prepared and distributed monthly to Veterans and supporters of those who served
- USS COD Submarine Memorial: opens for daily public tours May 1, 2017 10 AM – 5 PM
- Fallen Comrade Ceremony
A ‘Fallen Comrade Ceremony’ will be held Sunday, May 7, 2017 at the Trinity United Methodist Church at 1581 Cambridge Blvd., Columbus 2-3:30 PM
This special Fallen Comrade Ceremony honors living warriors and the resulting “soul injuries” that occurred from their military service and/or combat experiences. We thank them for their service and offer a safe place to remember those lost. Family members affected by their loved ones’ service are provided a safe place to remember. Caregivers and other civilians have the opportunity to show support.
Military currently serving, veterans, families and all civilian community members are encouraged to participate.
Child care will be provided. A time of gathering and fellowship will follow: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/central-ohios-fallen-comrade-ceremony-honor-the-living-tickets-31809471987
The Cleveland Department of Aging presents the 28th annual Senior Day Wednesday, May 24, 2016 at Cleveland Public Hall. For more information, www.cleveland-oh-gov/aging
- Cleveland Tank Plant Homecoming Military Show and Swap Meet
The International Exposition (I-X) Center and the Military Vehicle Preservation Association announced the 42nd annual MVPA International Convention will be held in conjunction with the Cleveland Tank Plant Homecoming Military Show and Swap Meet June 22-24, 2017 at the I-X Center: www.IXClevelandTankShow.com
- USS COD Dutch Friendship Day: join the COD as they reenact COD’s WWII rescue of 55 crewman from the Dutch Submarine 019 at 2 PM Saturday, July 8, 2017.
- Annual Veterans Day Ceremony and Parade
The City of Cleveland will partner and host the annual Veterans Day ceremony and Parade on Friday, November 10, 2017
Read the full document here: Base Cleveland Veteran News