8 June 2017
Prepared and distributed monthly to Veterans and supporters of those who served
- Breaking Down Barriers – sponsored by Tri-C
The first annual Breaking Down Barriers hiring event is scheduled for Friday, June 9, 2017 at Cuyahoga Community College. The event is open to jobseekers with significant legal barriers to employment.
The new location for the event is at the Tri-C Metro Recreation Center at the corner of E 30 and Community College Avenue. The site is accessible by RTA.
Here is link to a map including parking locations: http://www.tri-c.edu/community/community-recreation/documents/rec-well-center.pdf
Register at https://www.cognitoforms.com/BDB8/register
- Flag Day/ Army Birthday/Naturalization Ceremony – the Joint Veterans’ Council of Cuyahoga County (JVCOCC) and the Newton D. Baker Chapter of the Association of the United States Army (AUSA)and the Cleveland Army Recruiting Battalion announce the annual Flag Day/Army Birthday/Naturalization Ceremony to be held at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at 12 noon Wednesday, June 14, 2017.
Mistress of Ceremonies, MC, will be Monica Robins of WKYC, Channel 3 News. The Naturalization Ceremony will be conducted by United States District Judge Dan Polster. Brigadier General Sandra Alvey, Deputy Commanding General, 807th Medical Command, will assist with the celebration of the Army Birthday and Soldier of the Year recognition.
- American Red Cross Northeast Ohio smoke alarm installation event in honor of Flag Day June 17
Someone dies in a home fire seven times a day, on average nationwide, and in Northeast Ohio, the Red Cross responds on average to three home fires every day. Join us, when, in honor of Flag Day, we partner with several military and veterans groups on a mission to make neighborhoods safer throughout Northeast Ohio.
We will be going door-to-door in Greater Cleveland, Akron, Canton and Mansfield, installing free smoke alarms, replacing batteries in existing alarms, and conveying valuable fire safety information on June 17, 2017 from 9:00am- 2:00 pm.
Interested individuals can register to volunteer for the event via the Red Cross of Northeast Ohio “events” page at http://www.redcross.org/news/event/local/ohio/northeast/Operation-Save-A-Life-Military-and-Veteran-Partners-Fire-Safety-Walk The actual registration page will list times and locations as well.
For the event, we will be staging at the local VA Community Based Outpatient Clinics (CBOC):
- Akron: 55 W. Waterloo, Akron, OH 44319-1116
- Canton: 733 Market Avenue South, Canton, OH 44702-1018 (We may be moving this to the Red Cross office in Canton)
- Mansfield: 1025 South Trimble Rd., Mansfield, OH 44906
- Parma: 8787 Brookpark Road, Parma, OH 44129
The breakout for the day:
- 9:00- 9:30 am: arrive/ registration at staging location
- 9:30- 10:00am: training
- 10:00 am- 1:30 pm: smoke alarm installations/ preparedness education
- 1:30- 2:00 pm: wrap up
Read More Here: Base Cleveland Veteran News for June 8th