City of Cleveland Requires Street Vendor’s License For Special Events

The City of Cleveland is stepping up enforcement of its Street Vendor’s License requirement for Special Events.  At least one person in the working group must hold a current and valid Street Vendor’s License and Identification Badge.

Per Section 675.02 of the Codified Ordinances, “no person shall engage in vending anywhere in the City without a vendor’s license.”  The only requirement for vendors participating in Special Events is the Street Vendors License and Identification Badge.

To clarify misconceptions about the Street Vendor‘s License, here are some common questions answered:

  • Who needs a Street Vendor’s License and ID badge? A Street Vendor’s License and Identification Badge is required for any person selling, offering or displaying for sale, or soliciting another to purchase, for present or future delivery, any goods, wares, merchandise, subscriptions, services, pre-packaged frozen desserts, commercially pre-packaged foods and beverages from, in, upon, along, or through the highways, streets, or sidewalks, door-to-door on residential property, or in the open air or from a temporary shelter or vending device upon private property.
  • How much is the Street Vendor’s License and Identification Badge? The fee is $60 ($60 for both the License and Identification Badge.) This fee is non-refundable.
  • When does the License and Identification Badge expire? Both are valid beginning August 1st and expire on July 31st of the following year.
  • How do I apply? Download and complete the application here. Applications can be delivered in person or mailed to Cleveland City Hall, Division of Assessments and Licenses, 601 Lakeside Avenue, Room 122, Cleveland, OH 44114.  Applications will be accepted Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.  Applications and supporting documents can also be emailed to
  • What do I need to submit with my application? Copy of a current and valid government issued identification.
  • What types of payment are accepted? Fees are payable by cash, check or credit card. Make checks payable to the City of Cleveland.  For online submissions, download and complete the Automatic Payment Authorization Form.  A secured fax line has been established for the return of the form.
  • Does everyone in my business selling goods at an event need an ID badge? No. But at least one person in the vending group must have a Street Vendor’s License and Identification Badge. Each License and Identification Badge has the name of the person to whom it belongs.  Additionally, the Identification Badge will contain the photo of the licensee.  That person must be on site in the working group for the duration of the event.  Everyone in the group does NOT need to have a License and Identification Badge.
  • How long will it take to process my application? Applications submitted in person will be processed the same day. Electronic or mailed copies will take up to five (5) business days to process.

Click here to view Chapter 675.

Download and complete the application here

Click here to download a printable version of our Vendor ID flyer.

Questions? Call the Division of Assessments and Licenses at 216-664-2264.