Thanks to Mayor Frank G. Jackson’s enhanced budget, made possible by Issue 32, the City of Cleveland is embarking on more street improvement projects in 2017 than years past. Projects span all neighborhoods and wards throughout the city.
Here are some highlights about this year’s road work:
- Street resurfacing began on April 27, 2017 and will continue through the summer, weather permitting. The first resurfacing project took place in Ward 4 on Parkview Avenue near the intersection of Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard.
- Potholes are serviced year round, weather permitting. The Department of Public Works has increased its pothole crews from three to 10 as a result of the passage of Issue 32.
- This year, with the completion of the Pavement Management Study we have a graded system that allows us to select the streets that are in the greatest need of resurfacing. We are using the worst first approach to road resurfacing.
- We are projecting to resurface 95 streets this year.
- Thanks to Issue 32 funds, the City of Cleveland has reinstated street sweeping services.
Updates will be posted Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.
23 August 2017
Prepared and distributed to Veterans and supporters of those who served
- RecruitMilitary Veteran Job Fairs
- Vietnam War Commemoration Event
The Geauga County Veterans Service Commission is commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Vietnam War with a ceremony to honor Vietnam veterans and their families on September 1, 2017 at 12:00 noon during the Great Geauga County Fair in Burton, OH at the Main Grandstand. This is the second Geauga County Veterans Service Commission event in support of The United States of America Vietnam War Commemoration. Its primary focus: to thank and honor our 7 million living Vietnam veterans and the families of all 9 million who served on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces from November 1, 1955 – May 15, 1975, regardless of location.
The event is free for veterans and seniors and open to the public. Anyone interested in attending, especially those who served in uniform from November 1, 1955 – May 15, 1975 and their families should contact Geauga County Veterans Services at 440.279.1860. Veterans will need to validate their service with a discharge form DD214.
- Support our troops luncheon
A luncheon, sponsored by the RPCC Women’s Outreach Network (NOW) is scheduled for Wednesday, September 6, 2017 at Windows on the River, 2000 Sycamore St., Cleveland 44113
The featured keynote speaker is John Gallina, Co-Founder of Purple Heart homes – a veteran service organization.
A silent auction will be held at 11:15 AM with lunch being served at 12:15 PM. Cost $35
For more information or to become a sponsor, contact Sally Florkiewicz 440-247-6945 or Lucy Stickan at 440 759 2551.
- USO Northern Ohio Golf Outing and Clambake – scheduled for Friday, September 8, 2017 at the Sweetbriar Golf Club, located at 750 Jaycox Road, Avon Lake, Ohio 44012
- 5th Annual VFW Community Day Picnic
A VFW community day picnic will be held 1 PM to 5 PM Saturday, September 9, 2017 at 17900 Strongsville Blvd., Strongsville, OH
The free event is open to the public and a great opportunity to meet your friends, fellow veterans and neighbors. Free entertainment, snacks, soft drinks and games and activities. For more information contact 440-234-0250
- Vietnam Combat Veterans Memorial ‘ the Moving Wall’
September 21-24, 2017 at Perry High School, 1 Success Blvd., Perry OH 44081. The opening ceremony will begin at 7 PM Thursday, September 21 and a closing ceremony held at 6 PM Sunday, September 24, 2017.
- Fisher House Fundraiser
A special fundraiser to benefit the Greater Cleveland Fischer House is planned for 8 PM – midnight September 30, 2017 at the Holy Spirit Party Center at 5500 W 54 Street, Parma, OH. The event is open to the public and includes raffles, food and dancing. Proceeds will benefit families of patients receiving medical care at military and VA medical centers. For details, call Barb Haselow at 440.886.6157 or Marge Smith at 216.224.4178. Additional information will be provided when made available.
- Ohio Airborne Days
The 55th All Ohio Airborne Days will be celebrated Oct 5, 7 and 7, 2017. For more information, M:\Ohio Airborne Days.jpg
- Annual Veterans Day Ceremony and Parade
The City of Cleveland will partner and host the annual Veterans Day ceremony and Parade on Friday, November 10, 2017. A limited number of display tables are available to Veteran support groups interesting in displaying or presenting information to the attendees. Please contact Marty Flask at telephone 216.420.7606 or MFlask@city.cleveland.oh.us to reserve a spot. First come, first served. Note: The Red Cross , VA Medical Center, USO and VA Vet Center have already reserved a table.
Read More Here: Base Cleveland Veteran News – August 23 2017