For America Recycles Day on Nov. 15, City of Cleveland Waste Commissioner Paul Alcantar and Office of Sustainability Director Kristin Hall discussed in a Facebook Live video some of the things Clevelanders should know about recycling.
Here’s a recap of some important points to remember:
- Place all recyclables directly, loosely in the bin. Do not bag them.
- The City of Cleveland does not accept plastic bags for recycling, though many retailers do have drop offs for plastic bags.
- Recycled food materials such as food cans and juice bottles must be rinsed before they are placed in the blue roll carts.
- Items such as toys, electronics and clothing are not recyclable. However, you may want to donate these items to a charity depending on their condition.
- Food take out items like foam cups and boxes are not recyclable.
For more examples of what’s recyclable and what’s not, visit cuyahogarecycles.org/Cleveland.