On the Dec. 7 episode of the City of Cleveland’s Winter Safety Series, Facebook fans learned how to spot hidden holiday fire hazards in their homes. Cleveland Division of Fire Public Information Officer Lt. Mike Norman joined Captain Tyree Thompson at The Western Reserve Fire Museum and Education Center to show Facebook Live viewers commonly overlooked dangers such as space heaters and old holiday lights.
Try these important fire safety tips from the Division of Fire to stay safer this season:
- Unplug space heaters, toasters and other appliances when not in use.
- Replace holiday lights that have frayed or old electrical cords – cords should not run underneath rugs, carpets or doorways.
- Plug space heaters directly into wall outlets – do not use cheap power strips.
- Never leave the kitchen unattended when cooking.
- In case of a cooking fire, safely smother the flames using a metal lid or by closing the oven.
- Check smoke and carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of the home weekly – Cleveland residents can call 216-361-5535 for free smoke detector installations.
- Establish a fire evacuation plan and an outdoor safety check point for family members.
- Water live holiday trees daily to prevent over-heating and fire.
- Pull over to let emergency vehicles pass – do not follow closely behind emergency vehicles.
- Do not drink and drive. Establish a transportation plan before holiday outings.
Check out our Facebook Live every week through the end of the year and follow #WinterSafetyCLE to learn more from our city departments how to stay safe during the winter. The series will also include conversations with the Department of Public Utilities, Division of Police, Animal Care & Control and the Mayor’s Office of Sustainability.