The City of Cleveland’s Department of Public Utilities (DPU) shared winter safety tips on everything from frozen pipes to clogged storm drains on the Dec. 10 Winter Safety Series Facebook Live. Chief of DPU Public Affairs Jason Wood and DPU Communications Manager Paula Morrison talked Cleveland Public Power, Water Pollution Control and Cleveland Water to give viewers a wide range of tips to avoid holiday mishaps.
Try these handy safety tips from the Department of Public Utilities for a safe winter:
- Disconnect and drain outdoor hoses to prevent freezing – insulate pipes with foam or tape insulation.
- Leave a pencil-lead-thin stream of water running or open cabinet doors to prevent freezing.
- Safely heat frozen plumbing using a blow dryer – do not use direct heat.
- Use “UL” certified power strips and surges to ensure safety.
- Cut 1-2 inches off the bottom of live trees to help absorb water – water live trees daily to prevent fire hazards.
- Clear debris from catch basins or storm drains to prevent street flooding.
- Do not pour cooking grease down the drain.
- Clear snow away from nearby fire hydrants for emergency accessibility.
- Be cautious when driving near work zones.
The Winter Safety Series is a number of Facebook Live videos on the City of Cleveland Facebook page aimed at giving Clevelanders of all ages important information about how to be better prepared for winter and the holidays.
Check out our Facebook every week through the end of the year to learn more from some of our city departments about how to stay safe during the winter. The series includes conversations with the Department of Aging, Division of Fire, the Department of Public Utilities, Division of Police, Animal Care & Control and the Mayor’s Office of Sustainability.