The City of Cleveland’s Division of Police joined Facebook Live viewers to share winter safety tips on the Dec. 14 episode of the Winter Safety Series. Sergeant Jennifer Ciaccia, Sergeant Charmin Leon and the Public Safety Recruitment team explored road safety, online shopping and more safety tips for this holiday season in Cleveland.
Try these safety tips from the Division of Police for a safer winter:
- Clear snow from your entire car before driving to prevent accidents. Blowing snow from your vehicle may cause visibility issues for others.
- Drive slowly on the road and be mindful of other drivers, ice, emergency vehicles and road workers. If an emergency vehicle activates its siren, remember to move over.
- Do not drink and drive – make safe transportation plans before holiday outings.
- Clear snow away from nearby fire hydrants for emergency accessibility.
- Place valuables and gifts in the trunk of your car when shopping to avoid theft.
- Always be mindful of your surroundings when traveling for the holidays.
- Look out for internet scams and package theft when online shopping – track your packages.
- Check on older neighbors and family members throughout the winter.
The Winter Safety Series is a number of Facebook Live videos on the City of Cleveland Facebook page aimed at giving Clevelanders of all ages important information about how to be better prepared for winter and the holidays.
Check out our Facebook Live every week through the end of the year and follow #WinterSafetyCLE to learn more from our city departments about how to stay safe during the winter.
The series includes conversations with the Department of Aging, Division of Fire, the Department of Public Utilities, Division of Police, Animal Care & Control and the Mayor’s Office of Sustainability.