The City of Cleveland’s Office of Sustainability concluded the Winter Safety Series on Dec. 28. Director Kristin Hall spoke with Facebook Live viewers about cost effective holiday tips for a greener and safer winter.
Try these safety tips from the Office of Sustainability for a safer winter:
- Disconnect and drain rain barrels to prevent freezing.
- Consider using cat litter or sand on ice as a safe alternative to salt.
- Use public transportation or carpool for a green and safe travel experience.
- Turn off lights when exiting a room to reduce energy usage throughout your home.
- Use insulation around windows and doors to stay warm and reduce energy waste.
- Consider programmable thermostats to reduce energy usage throughout your home.
- Recycle plain gift wrapping paper (no metallic, glitter or velvet wrapping paper). Be sure to remove tape, bows and ribbons before recycling.
The Winter Safety Series is a number of Facebook Live videos on the City of Cleveland Facebook page aimed at giving Clevelanders of all ages important information about how to be better prepared for winter.
Check out our Facebook Live and follow #WinterSafetyCLE to learn more from our city departments about how to stay safe during the winter.
The series includes conversations with the Department of Aging, Division of Fire, the Department of Public Utilities, on of Police, Animal Care & Control and the Mayor’s Office of Sustainability.