With the approach of Memorial Day weekend, Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE) is preparing for a busy 100 days of summer for 2019.
To kick off the busy travel season, CLE is expected to welcome 180,000 guests through the airport Memorial Day weekend between Thursday, May 23 and Tuesday May 28.
The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is preparing for another record-breaking travel season this summer nationwide between Memorial Day and Labor Day.
CLE will welcome new service this summer adding to the uptick in the number of travelers with the addition of destinations from Allegiant Air to Charleston and Norfolk.
Airport officials encourage travelers to arrive at least two hours before scheduled departures to allow time for inclement weather, traffic, parking, check-in and going through the checkpoints. Please look for signs, the Gold Coat Ambassadors and Landside Operations employees are available to help passengers find where they need to go.
CLE’s website is a one-stop shop for travel information. Visit the website at www.clevelandairport.com to check the following: flight status, airline contact information, dining and retail options, Art exhibit locations, Current TSA checkpoint wait times, and the status of airport parking entities.
Follow CLE on Twitter at @GoingPlacesCLE and on Facebook at facebook.com/CLEairport for important announcements.
There are six separate on-site parking options, including:
- CLE Curbside Valet, $25 per day, located on the lower roadway in the far left lane
- The Smart Parking Garage, $20 per day
- The Red Lot, $18 per day
- The Blue Lot, $16 per day
- The Orange Lot, $15 per day
- The Brown Lot, $11 per day
The new shuttle drop-off location located at the north end of baggage claim includes wheelchair service, free luggage carts, a waiting room and arrival/departure notification technology to make traveling via shuttle a breeze.
Picking up friends and family at the airport? Don’t circle around waiting for an arrival. Park and wait in the CLE Cell Phone Lot located off State Road 237 South. Follow the blue directional signs for easy parking.
RTA Red Line to the airport
The Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority (RTA) offers convenient service to and from CLE. The trip takes less than 30 minutes and trains depart from CLE every 25 minutes for the majority of the day.
For more information, visit the RTA web site at www.riderta.com or call the RTA answer-line at 216-621-9500.
Get a Taste of Cleveland
Before taking off, plan a food stop at the airport and discover a variety of healthy choices, including vegan and gluten free options. CLE has also welcomed several popular new eateries to the airport. Recently opened Wow Bao offers hot asian steamed buns, potstickers, and rice & noodle bowls. Embers Fire and Ice Bar features breakfast, small plates and plenty to drink along with a central location for people watching and meet-ups. Most recently, Shake Shack opened in the food court.
TSA travel tips
Always have a government-issued ID ready to present at the airline ticket counter and security checkpoint. CLE’s new Checkpoint Wait Times feature allows travelers to select the shortest security line or view the expected wait time at the closest checkpoint line. This amenity is also available on our website, www.clevelandairport.com.
Be prepared for the screening process. You can find the checklist at the link provided here.
- Look through luggage to ensure no prohibited items are in the bag prior to coming to the airport.
- All three CLE checkpoints now have Advanced Imaging Technology (AIT) machines for passenger screening. Be prepared for metal detectors and x-ray machines for carry-on items.
- Remember the TSA 3-1-1 rule for carry-on items – Three ounces (3 oz.) per container, in a clear one-quart bag, one per passenger.
- Knives, scissors with pointed tips, pepper spray and other such items are prohibited as carry-on items. For a comprehensive list of banned and permitted items, visit the Transportation Security Administration’s (TSA) Web site at www.tsa.gov.
- Carry-on luggage is restricted to one bag and one personal item per person. A personal item includes a purse, briefcase or laptop bag.
- Outer coats, jackets and other such garments must be removed and put through x-ray screening.
- Children under the age of 12 years old will not have to remove their shoes before going through security.
TSA Pre✓™ is available at CLE and allows select frequent flyers of participating airlines and members of U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler programs who are flying on participating airlines, to receive expedited screening benefits.
For more information visit: http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck.
As an added amenity to speed up the checkpoint process, passenger can now take advantage of CLEAR verification, which can be found at Central and South Checkpoints. Instead of using traditional ID documents, CLEAR uses biometrics – your eyes and fingertips – to confirm your identity making the process a breeze. Want to sign up? There are kiosks in the terminal so you can sign up while you are here. CLEAR can also be used for events at Progressive Field. For more information on CLEAR, go to this website: http://www.clearme.com.