Monday, June 17, 2019
Prepared and distributed to Veterans and supporters of those who served
SAVE THE DATE
- 2019 Cleveland National Air Show dates released, featuring U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds: August 31 through September 2, 2019
- National Veterans Memorial & Museum in Columbus, Ohio
- Subscribe to the VA Official Blog of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs: https://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/subscribe/
- Cleveland Veterans Administration: calendar of events https://www.cleveland.va.gov/calendar.asp.
- Lest We Forget: https://lestweforgetsculpture.org/
- ‘Blue water’ veterans bill clears Senate, heads to White House for final signature
The Senate unanimously passed legislation codifying presumptive disability benefits status for so called “blue water” Vietnam veterans on Wednesday, sending the bill to the White House to become law. The move came roughly six months after the measure was stalled in the Senate by parliamentary objections and just a week after the end of a legal battle surrounding the Vietnam veterans’ benefits that has drug on for years. The legislation, passed unanimously by the House last month, has been a
- ‘A Black Eye’ for the Purple Heart, as Groups Feud Over Funding – WSJ
The nation’s oldest military honor, the Purple Heart, is in the crossfire of an unusual fight between military service organizations that could strand thousands of veterans who have relied on the groups to help manage their disability claims. The award, which dates to the American Revolution, has its own congressionally chartered service organization, which aids wounded troops and other veterans as they seek government benefits and medical care.
- Naturalization ceremony at Rock Hall in Cleveland on Flag Day
CLEVELAND, Ohio – Several hundred gathered outside the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and Museum for a naturalization ceremony on Friday, June 14, 2019. Coast Guard Chief Aaron Holm was among the crowd as he watched 26 people, from countries including Bhutan, Ukraine, and Zimbabwe, take the oath to become U.S. citizens on Flag Day.