As the City of Cleveland prepares for the holiday season, residents should prepare for delays in waste collection and City office closures. In addition, those heading to Downtown Cleveland for Winterfest should plan for various road closures.
The City of Cleveland Department of Public Works WILL NOT collect waste on the following days:
- Thursday, Nov. 28, 2019 (in observance of Thanksgiving)
- Wednesday, Dec. 25, 2019 (in observance of Christmas Day)
- Wednesday, Jan. 1, 2019 (in observance of New Year’s Day)
Waste collection will be delayed by one day following each of the holidays. City of Cleveland offices – including City Hall, Cleveland Public Power and Cleveland Water – will also be closed on Nov. 28, Dec. 25 and Jan. 1. All City of Cleveland offices will reopen the day after each holiday. The Willard Garage attached to City Hall will also be closed on Nov. 28, Dec. 25 and Jan. 1. On Dec. 24 and Dec. 31 the Willard Garage will close at 9 p.m.
The City has not scheduled a separate pick-up for discarded Christmas trees. Trees should be stripped of lights and ornaments and placed on tree lawns for pick-up on scheduled collection days.
For more information regarding waste collection, please call the Division of Waste Collection at (216) 664-3711 or visit www.clevelandohio.gov.
Winterfest Road Closures
Starting Friday, Nov. 29 at 7 a.m. – Sunday, Dec. 1 at 1 a.m., select roads near Public Square will be closed off for Downtown Cleveland Alliance’s Winterfest. The annual holiday event is set to welcome visitors from across the area as early as 9 a.m. on Saturday, Nov. 30 and continue well into the evening. The following road closure is scheduled for Friday, Nov. 29, 2019:
- Superior Avenue at Public Square – closed at east roadway and west roadway (east and west roadways and the elbow remain open to traffic.)
The following road closures are scheduled for Saturday, Nov. 30 through Sunday, Dec. 1:
- Superior Avenue at E. 3rd closed; exit the Hyatt garage eastbound on Superior
- Ontario Street at St. Clair Avenue (access to Marriott loading dock maintained)
- Frankfort Avenue at W. 3rd Street
- Euclid at E. 6th Street (residential, valet and hotel access maintained)
- Superior Avenue at W. 3rd Street (valet access maintained)
- Ontario Street – south roadway to southbound (northbound traffic from Ontario
- Rockwell Avenue at W. Mall Drive
Winterfest attendees are encouraged to take advantage of public transit, including RTA. For a complete list of Park-N-Ride station locations and schedules, visit RideRTA.com Additionally, the free and easily accessible C-Line Trolley will run every 10 minutes from 11 a.m. – 11 p.m. throughout downtown.
For those who wish to drive, check out the Downtown Cleveland Alliance’s Parking and Transportation Guide.